1. Прочитайте текст и переведите.
What do the stars eat?
Film stars are everyones favourite subject. People love to talk about what theyre wearing, who theyre dating, and how much money they make. But have you ever wondered about what they eat?
Chefs and caterers on film sets have the answers. "Every actor has different eating habits," says chef John Sharp. "Some stars love meat, while others are strict vegetarians who dont eat meat, eggs, or fish. Some stars love junk food, while others are constantly on a diet and eat only healthy foods."
Ninety-nine per cent of the time, actresses are on a diet and insist on eating only low-fat foods. During the filming of Now and Then, Demi Moore ate nothing but Basmati rice, steamed baby spinach, green beans with lemon, and turkey sandwiches on wholemeal bread. During the filming of Twister, Helen Hunt only ate low-calorie foods, including p6ached eggs, dry toast, and steamed brown rice with vegetables.
Other stars love to eat junk food, and never count calories during their meals. Eddie Murphys favourite food is Kentucky Fried Chicken. Whoopi Goldberg doesnt worry about how healthy her diet is, and loves fatty bacon sandwiches with lettuce, mayonnaise and lots of butter.
One thing for sure is that cooking for the stars is never easy, because they are often fussy eaters. "They want food fixed exactly the way they like it and always have something to complain about," says caterer Susan Tate. Bill Murray wont eat watermelon with seeds in it, and Mickey Rourke insists on freshly-squeezed carrot juice twice a day, but he wont drink it if it sits for more than six minutes.
Cooking for the stars is hard work, but few of these caterers ever think about changing jobs. "I love my work," says Susan Tate. "Where else can I see what Michelle Pfeiffer eats for breakfast or what Al Pacino has for a snack?"
2. Выберите верные ответы.
1.Vegetarians don’t eat …
a. junk food.
d. healthy foods.
2. Most actresses don’t eat …
a. law-fat foods.
c. fatty foods.
d. steamed vegetables.
3. Who likes junk food?
a. Eddie Murphy
b. Demi Moore
c. Susan Tate
d. Bill Murray
4. Cooking for the stars is …
5. Caterers on film sets should …
a. be fussy eaters.
b. prepare only healthy food.
c. change their jobs often.
d. fix food the way each star likes it.
3. Заполните пропуски словами из списка, затем составьте свои пять предложений, используя полные фразы.
dry, foods, eating, junk, freshly-squeezed, calories, poached, steamed, strict
1. __________ habits
2. __________ brown rice
3. __________ food
4. law-fat _________
5. __________ eggs
6. ___________ toast
7. to count _________
8. __________ carrot juice
9. __________ vegetarians
4. Заполните пропуски предлогами.
A. _____ film sets
B. _____ a diet
C. 99 per cent _____ the time
D. to insist _____ sth
E. to worry _____ sth
F. to cook _____ sb
G. to complain _____ sth
H. to think _____ sth
5. Заполните таблицу о «звездных» предпочтениях в еде.
Dieters Junk-food lovers Fussy eaters
6. Ответьте на вопросы.
 What do you usually eat and drink:
- at work/school
- on a picnic
- at a fast-food restaurant
- at an expensive restaurant?
 Do you often:
- eat junk food
- have a snack between meals?
 Do you worry about how healthy your diet is?
7. Вычеркните лишнее слово из списка.
 A bar of chocolate, soap, bread
 A carton of orange juice, bacon, milk
 A slice of bread, ham, butter, cake
 A cup of coffee, meat, tea, hot chocolate
 A bowl of salad, cake, soup, cereal
 A glass of milk, wine, beer, cheese
 A bottle of Coke, beef, water, lemonade
 A jar of honey, jam, potatoes, mustard
 A bag of flour, sugar, ketchup, crisps
 A box of vinegar, chocolates, biscuits
8. Вставьте some, any, no, every или их производные.
1 Can ... see? No, ... people cant see ... people are blind. Blind people cant see. They cant see ... ; they can see .... 2. Can ... hear? No, ... people cant hear. ... people are deaf. People who are quite deaf cant hear. They cant hear ..., they cant hear .... They can hear ... ; they can hear .... 3. Can we see ... ? No, we cant see ... . We cannot see the air. ... can see the air. 4. We cant walk without legs and feet. People without legs and feet cant walk. They cant walk .... They can walk .... 5. Can you see ... in an empty box? No, I cant see ... in an empty box. I can see ... in an empty box. Why not? Because there is ... in an empty box. There isnt ... in an empty box. What is an empty box? An empty box is a box that has ... in it. An empty box is a box without ... in it. An empty room is a room without ... in it.
9. Вставьте some, any, no или их производные.
1. Have you ... relations? - No, I havent ... , I have ... relations. 2. Has she ... nephews or nieces? - She has ... nephews. 3. She has ... sisters, she has only brothers. 4. Do you know ... about Chinese art? 5. They have ... cousins in Minsk. 6. Have you ... brothers? - No, I havent ... , I have ... brothers. 7. I have ... good friends. 8. We did not know ... about his problems: he told us ... . 9. Have you got ... interesting books? 10. Have you ... friends in America? 11. He has ... English books in this bookcase. 12. Did you meet ... on your way to school? 13. Have you got ... pencils in your bag? 14. Do we have ... chalk on the black¬board? 15. How could I know that he was ill? ... told me ... . 16. She has ... mistakes in her test.
10. Вставьте одно из следующих слов: some, any, no, the, а или оставьте пропуски незаполненными.
1. ... cats like ... milk. 2. They stopped in ... front of ... house where Tom lived. 3. I showed him ... way to ... station. 4. What is ... name of ... street in which you live? 5. I want to say ... words to your sister. 6. ... tea in this glass is cold. 7.... sun was high in ... sky. 8. Oh, there are ... apples in ... vase: ... children have eaten all of them. Please put ... apples into ... vase. 9. Yesterday we had ... fish for dinner. 10. He gave me ... coffee. 11.1 drank ... cup of ... coffee after ... dinner. 12. She bought ... new books yesterday. 13. Where are … books which you brought fr om ... library yesterday? 14. Did you buy ... apples when you were at ... shop? 15. We could not skate because there was ... snow on ... ice. 16. ... house must have ... windows. 17. Most people like ... music. 18. There was ... meat on Nicks plate and ... fish on Toms, 19. We saw ... houses in the distance.
11. Прочитайте текст
The Pacific Paradise Tour took us to Califo
ia, on the west coast of the United States, and to the Hawaiian islands in the Pacific Ocean. With beautiful countryside, exciting cities and fantastic beaches, this holiday had everything.
The first place we stopped at was San Francisco, in northe
ia. This city is famous for its cable cars - and it certainly needs them because San Francisco is extremely hilly and has some very steep roads! By the sea, next to the fishing boats, there are the fish restaurants. Here we enjoyed watching the street actors and musicians as we ate delicious fresh fish. One thing well never forget is the Golden Gate Bridge, which is very big and beautiful.
The next city on the tour was Los Angeles. This city is very exciting and has some very famous attractions. The nearby beaches are long and sandy and the mountains outside the city are high and dry. We visited the beach where they were filming Baywatch. We also went to Disneyland where we saw E.T. and shook hands with Mickey Mouse. After that they took us to Hollywood to see the houses of the stars who have made a lot of films - and a lot of money!
The last place we visited in Califo
ia was San Diego, a city with sun, sand, sea and all kinds of watersports. We went to the San Diego Zoo which is one of the worlds largest zoos. We also visited Mexico, which is only a short drive away fr om San Diego.
Finally, we went to Hawaii. Its paradise! We sat on golden beaches with green palm trees and watched amazing red sunsets. We also saw colourful fish at Sea Life Park and went snorkelling in Hatiauma Bay. In the evenings we enjoyed the lively clubs, bars and ice-cream parlours. Best of all, we ate fantastic Hawaiian food while watching Hawaiian people performing traditional Polynesian dances.
This holiday was fantastic. So when you have time, get on the first plane to the west coast of The United States and have the time of your life!
12. Что из колонки В относится к городам из колонки А?
1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diego
4. Hawaii a. cable cars
b. traditional dances
c. a zoo
e. golden beaches
f. a famous bridge
g. rich people’s houses
13. Сопоставьте предложения и города.
A) San Francisco B) Los Angeles C) San Diego D) Hawaii
 The city is built on hills.
 There is a famous theme park.
 It is very close to another country.
 The local food is delicious.
 Entertainers perform as you eat.
 You can see the homes of famous people.
 You can see interesting creatures under the sea.
14. Найдите антонимы для следующих прилагательных.
15. Заполните пропуски словами из списка.
cable, palm, steep, street, short, fishing, traditional, golden
1. __________ boats
2. __________ trees
3. __________ dances
4. __________ cars
5. __________ beaches
6. __________ drive
7. __________ roads
8. __________ actors
16. Подставьте верные предлоги.
1. ______ the west coast ______ the US
2. ______ The Pacific Ocean
3. famous ______ sth
4. ______ a tour
5. shake hands ______ sb
6. sit ______ golden beaches
7. get ______ a plane
17. Какой город, из четырех упомянутых в тексте, вы хотели бы посетить? Почему? (напишите 5-7 предложений).
…. is the city I want to visit.
I’ve heard that …
This city is famous for …
There is/are …
I want to see …
I think the holiday will be (fantastic, etc.) …
18. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple или Past Perfect.
1. Не (to study) French before he (to enter) the university. 2. Lanny (to say) that he (to get) his education in Cape Town. 3. The boy (to want) to act the main part in the play because he (to organ¬ize) the theatre. 4. Lanny (not to know) who (to attack) him in the darkness. 5. The girl (to be) glad that she (to find) a seat near the window. 6. Suddenly he (to remember) that he (not to ring) her up in the mo
ing. 7. By the time the train (to reach) the city, he (to make) friends with many passengers. 8. When his uncle (to leave), he (to hurry) to the station to book a ticket. 9. She (to think) that Gert and Lanny (to quarrel). 10. By the time we (to come) to see him, he (to retu
) home. 11. During the holidays my friend (to visit) the village where he (to live) in his childhood. 12. When they (to enter) the hall, the performance already (to begin). 13. When I came home, my mother (to tell) me that she (to receive) a letter fr om grandfather. 14. Where you (to work) before you (to enter) the institute? 15. By two oclock the teacher (to examine) all the students. 16. On my way to school I (to remember) that I (to leave) my report at home. 17. All my friends (to be) glad to hear that I (to pass) all the examinations successfully. 18. Poor Oliver (to lie) unconscious on the spot where Sikes (to leave) him. 19. He (to open) his eyes, (to look) around and (to try) to remember what (to happen) to him. 20. All the passengers (to see) at once that the old man (to travel) a great deal in his life.
19. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в Past Simple, Past Continuous и Past Perfect.
1. I (to sit) in an armchair and (to think) of my coming trip across the North Sea when the door suddenly (to open) and an old friend of mine whom I (not to see) for a very long time (to enter) the room. 2. She (to come) to see us just at the time when we (to have) dinner. It (to be) the first time I (to see) her. 3. I (to see) him just as he (to leave) the hotel. 4. I (not to see) him before we (to meet) at the concert. 5. He (to leave) the house before I (to have) time to ask him anything. 6. He (to tell) me he (to lea
) it fr om the newspaper. 7. He (to enter) the room, (to take) something from the desk and (to go) out. 8. There (to be) two men in the room. One of them (to write) something while the other (to read) a newspaper. 9. He (not to tell) me that he (to receive) a telegram from her. 10. I (to ask) him if he (to know) wh ere she (to live). I (to say) I (not to know) her address. 11. He (to ask) me if I (can) give him your address. 12. She (to say) that he (to give) her the wrong address. 13. I (to ask) him wh ere he (to put) my letter. 14. He (to tell) us that they (to spend) all the money. 15. After spending several days in Paris he (to feel) lonely and (to want) to retu
home. 16. I (to think) he already (to go) home. 17. I (to find) the old man in the garden. He (to talk) to some children who (to stand) around listening to him. 18. He (to speak) a language we never (to hear) before.
 READING 3
20. Прочитайте следующие факторы. Отметьте галочкой те, которые могут неблагоприятно повлиять на здоровье.
 Drinking pure water
 Eating junk food
 Sleeping less than 7 hours
 Being nervous
 Going in for sport
 Drinking too much alcohol
 Smoking cigarettes
 Listening to heavy music
 Driving a car
 Eating fresh fruit
 Meeting friends
 Working long hours
21. Составьте десять предложений, скажите, что следует или не следует делать для того, чтобы быть здоровым. Воспользуйтесь информацией из предыдущего предложения.
If you want to be healthy you should drink pure water.
If you want to be healthy you shouldn’t work long hours.
22. Как вы думаете, может ли вождение машины быть опасным для здоровья?
Прочитайте вопрос и возможные ответы.
Which of these things is the most dangerous when you’re driving a car?
 Making a call on your mobile
 Listening to your favourite music
 Listening to music you don’t know
 Opening a packet of crisps or a can of drink
 Picking up a specific CD from the passenger seat
 Talking to other passengers
23. Перепишите все факторы в следующем порядке: от самого опасного к менее опасному.
1. … The most dangerous
6. … The least dangerous
24. Сопоставьте вопросы с ответами.
1. What should you do when you are driving?
2. Why is opening a packet of crisps or can so dangerous?
3. What do people often do when they pick up a CD?
4. What gets worse when drivers are talking on the phone?
5. How do people drive when they are listening to their favourite music?
6. What happens if the music is fast and heavy?
7. What’s the main problem when drivers talk to other passengers?
8. Why is listening to music you don’t know the least dangerous? a. This is extremely dangerous because you have to take your eyes off the road for one pr two seconds.
b. The control of the car gets worse.
c. Drivers drive more aggressively.
d. Drivers drive more quickly and less safely.
e. We don’t pay enough attention to what’s happening on the road.
f. The reason is that most people actually need to hands to do it.
g. We are less distracted by it.
h. When you are driving you should concentrate on controlling the car and anything else you do is a distraction.
25. Прочитайте следующие утверждения. Согласитесь или не согласитесь с каждым из них. Воспользуйтесь информацией из предыдущего упражнения, ели необходимо. Обратите внимание на полезные фразы. Комментарий для каждого предложения должен составлять 3-4 предложения.
1. Drivers should not use any kind of phone when they are driving.
2. The minimum age for riding a motorbike should be 25.
3. The speed lim it for motorways should be 100 kilometers an hour.
4. Cyclists are just as dangerous as drivers.
5. Speed cameras do not stop accidents.
6. People over 70 are more dangerous drivers than young people.
I agree/disagree with this statement because …
I partly agree with this statement because …
I think it is right because it can be ….
In my opinion …
It is very important to point out …
It is true because it can lead to …
27. Вставьте модальные глаголы may или can.
1. You ... come in when you have taken off your boots. 2. Be careful: you ... spill the milk if you carry it like that. 3. Most children ... slide on the ice very well. 4. I dont think I ... be here by eleven oclock tomorrow, but I ... be. 5. ... you see anything in this inky darkness? 6. You ... go when you have finished your compositions. 7. What shall we do if the train is late? It ... be late, you know, after the terrible snowstorms weve had. 8. When ... you come arid see me? — Let me see: I ... not come tomorrow, for I must be at the meeting, but on Sunday Ill find time. Yes, you ... expect me on Sunday about three oclock. Will that be all right?
28. Переведите на русский язык.
1. I had to do a lot of homework yesterday 2. She had to stay at home because she did not feel well. 3. Pete had to stay at home because it was very cold. 4. Mike had to write this exercise at school because he had not done it at home. 5. They had to call the doctor because the grandmother was ill. 6. Why did you have to stay at home yesterday? — Because my parents were not at home and I had to look after my little sister. 7. I have not written the composition. I shall have to write it on Sunday. 8. We did not have to buy biscuits because granny had baked a delicious pie. 9. Will you have to get up early tomorrow?
29. Вставьте модальные глаголы tо have to или to be to.
1. Wh ere ... the lecture to take place? — I suppose in the assembly hall. 2. So, our plan is as follows: I ... to go to the library and bring the books. You ... to look through all the material here. Later we ... to work together. 3. "You ... to do it alone, without anybodys help," she said ste
ly. 4. I ... to help my friends with this work now, so I cannot go with you. 5. It was raining hard and we ... to wait until it stopped raining. 6. 1 ... to ask him about it tomorrow, as today he has already gone. 7. Why didnt you tell me that I ... to buy the books? 8. According to the order of the school¬mistress all the pupils ... to retu
the library books before the twenty-third of May. 9. As we had agreed before, we ... to meet at two oclock to go to the stadium together. But Mike did not come. I waited for another half-hour, but then I ... to leave as I was afraid to be late. 10. The meeting ... to begin at five oclock. Dont be late.
30. Дайте совет, используя модальный глагол should и слова, данные в скобках.
E.g. Her diction is not very good, (to read aloud) She should read aloud.
1. The boy is a little pale, (to play out-of-doors) 2. I am afraid you will miss that train, (to take a taxi) 3. There is no one in, (to try the room next door) 4. I have a slight irritation in my throat, (to smoke less) 5. This child doesnt want to eat soup, (not to give her sweets before dinner) 6. She makes a lot of spelling mistakes, (to copy passages out of a book) 7. The dog is afraid of him, (not to shout at the dog) 8. The students are unable to follo